Organized in 1958, the Klickitat County Historical Society’s primary purpose is to collect, preserve and present the history of Goldendale and Klickitat County. The museum was dedicated on August 18, 1962 with Supreme Court Justice Wm. O. Douglas delivering the keynote address. Two additional buildings have been built to display collections. The 24’x60’ “Annex” houses the actual Goldendale Sentinel print shop dating from 1878 and collections from early Goldendale businesses and the Goldendale Railway Station. In 2002 the Carriage/School House was built to present farm equipment and a reproduction of a one-room school house.
Publications These books and other materials maybe ordered via email.
Early Days in Klickitat Valley by Robert Ballou, 1932
Histories of the local Native Americans, pioneer families, county livestock, the development of the stage coach, the railroad, the Indian Wars, the building of the Military Road, the development of local governments, organizations, and schools. Also included are stories of gunfights, frontier and Indian legends. 498 pages, hardbound.
The History of Klickitat County edited by Pete May, 1982
The first place researchers look for local history. Government, schools, churches, cemetaries, organizations, and family histories. 520 pages, hardbound.
Glimpses into the Past collected and edited by Jean Allyn Smeltzer, 2011
This chronological collection of newspaper reports of the tragedies in Klickitat County. Reported are natural disasters, fires, destruction of towns.
100 Golden Years—Goldendale Centennial